Playground is a Limited Time Mode that will load you into the Battle Royale map with an extended period of time to roam around the map. There will be increased resources, all treasure chests and ammo crates will be present, and friendly fire will be enabled, but with immediate respawns. We’ve also been promised there will be “Lloads of Llamas” on the way too.
Epic is tweaking controllers, as well. It says, following feedback about Builder Pro feeling inconsistent, it has made major improvements. The same goes for the Turbo Building feature, which should be faster and more enjoyable to use. An optional “aim assist” is coming for Edit Mode, which will pull your crosshair toward the closest square when you’re editing your buildings.
There are performance enhancements on the way: Epic is optimizing load times and is promising to boost server performance. As for gameplay, here are a few of the changes and additions on the way:
- Challenge Progress Notifications–Starting in v4.3 there will be in-match pop ups to highlight your challenge progress. Track what you’ve completed and plan out your strategy for the remainder of the match or your next one!
- In-world markers–Marking positions on the map is a great way to communicate with your squad, but often the marker on the compass isn’t enough to get you to your location. We’re investigating ways to display an in-world marker to allow for easier navigation around the island.
- Victory Royale screen–Getting a Victory Royale should be a memorable experience, and the victory screen should support that. We want to freshen up the celebration and make it a bit more rewarding.
- High-resolution mini map–The ability to zoom in on the map was added in a recent update, but the resolution of the image isn’t quite as good as we want it to be. Our goal is to capture the world with as many details as possible to make it easier when figuring out where you’re droppin’!
- Better Footstep and Vertical Audio–Our v4.2 update had some footstep audio improvements, where we added slightly more variation to above/below sounds. We recognize it’s still difficult to identify enemy position in high-density locations (such as Tilted Towers) and we’ll continue to iterate on this.
There are many more changes to Fortnite on the way, and you can check out the game’s latest State of Development for all the details. Meanwhile, read about the new additions and latest challenges that have just arrived in Fortnite’s 4.2 content update.